The social condition of the Caribbean societies has undergone enormous changes in the past half a century. But the most important resource of the country – its people – still require a lot of development in different aspects of their lives. They need to be able to take informed decisions, make wise judgments and practice critical analysis not only for their personal good but also for the good of the society for the democratic Caribbean societies to function properly.
With the advancement of technology and the information they gather through them, they have realised the importance of processing the information for their own good in a way that can only be achieved through higher education. This is something that the Caribbean societies have realised they must do in order to secure their rightful place in the global arena.
Traditional way of imparting higher education and its deficiencies:
The traditional means of imparting higher education has a number of intrinsic difficulties that developing economies like the Caribbean are facing. They are:
- Lack of infrastructure
- Lack of manpower
- Distance that the students have to cover in order to attend classes
- High costs
- Mass education intrinsically leads to the lowering of the quality of education imparted
These are a huge setback for a nation that is trying to build its economy from scratches.
A tilt towards the online courses:
The online courses help in an enormous way in dealing with the difficulty posed by the regular courses. Let us look at some of them.
- Increase the students’ access to education
- No barrier of a classroom
- Cost effective since the courses cater to a huge number of students
- Periodic interaction between the teachers and the students increase the chances of individual attention to the students
As they require a working knowledge of Information and Communications Technology or (ICT), more and more students are getting attracted to the IT degrees in both the graduate and the post-graduate levels. There are a number of online degree providers that you can look up and find a useful degree.
Growing interest of the UK universities
A number of UK universities and providers of online degrees are becoming vastly interested in the prospect of offering their courses to the Caribbean. This is an avenue that had not been explored before and has an enormous potential that has not yet been tapped into. Since there are a number of providers of online courses, the students also get a number of options to choose from. Besides the government is also promoting the growth of the online courses because they will get a trained workforce without having to undergo the massive expense of arranging the infrastructure of brick and mortar institutions.
Online courses are helping a number of countries to move ahead. Not only are they helpful for the governments but also for the people as they are finding it useful to follow the courses from remote locations too which would not have been possible without the development of IT.
- Internet is the modern Messiah for Education (studyonlineinnigeria.wordpress.com)
- Degree Home wrote a new post, Thanks to Online Courses, Mothers can now finish their unfinished degrees, on the site Home Learning Information & Guide (homeschoolblogger.com)
- Free Online Course Providers in the US and UK (dailyeducationupdate.blogspot.com)